One option for fulfilling the GHHP research requirement is to write an extra chapter on the health policy or global health implications of a bench science thesis. Please note that this is only an option for hard science, engineering, and computer science concentrators.
Students wishing to pursue this option should set up a meeting with the GHHP program to discuss it in person (please email Christy Colburn). The extra chapter, along with the thesis, must be emailed to GHHP by the beginning of the spring semester Reading Period.
Here are specific instructions:
1) For Spring 2020, the due date is Friday, May 1st at 11:59 pm. If you need an extension, you may request one from Christy or Debbie.
2) Send your thesis and extra chapter in one email message but as two different files; they must be named [Last name_First name_thesis] and [Last name_First name_GHHP chapter]
3) Include the name of your thesis advisor in your message.
4) Please note these editorial requirements for the extra chapter:
- minimum of 10-12* pages in length, not including graphics or bibliography
- Times New Roman size 12 font
- 1-inch margins
- citation style mandated by your concentration
5) Click here for a detailed guide on the content and process of writing a GHHP extra thesis chapter.
* Due to the switch to remote learning and resulting hardships that many of you have experienced, we are modifying the 2020 requirements for the GHHP extra thesis chapter. The new length requirement is 10-12 pages (though you certainly can write more) and if you need an extension beyond May 1st, don’t hesitate to ask Christy or Debbie.
Students pursuing this option should keep in mind that although in some cases the GHHP Secondary Field may be able to offer some research and writing guidance from a Health Policy graduate student, it's more likely that the extra chapter is something the student will have to undertake independently.
It is also important to note that one semester of the thesis tutorial will double count for the GHHP Secondary Field. Therefore, thesis writers will not be able to double count any other concentration course for GHHP.